By: Bailey Massey
Edited By: Kylie Augis
If you’re a Philly sports fan, you probably recognize Taryn Hatcher from her career as a sports reporter and sideline reporter for NBC Sports Philadelphia. As a sideline reporter, she has covered various professional sports teams in Philly, like the Sixers, Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers. Aside from being extremely talented in her field, she is also one of the most fashionable women in sports on air today. Often confused for a model due to her wardrobe combined with flawless appearance, Hatcher is quite literally the human version of a woman in sports barbie. In this article, I’ll be analyzing some of her most iconic looks as well as providing a background of Hatcher’s career.
Taryn’s Career At Large
Taryn Hatcher began her career as a social media manager at iHeartMedia in 2013, and she worked there for five months, beginning in April and ending in August of that same year. Upon the conclusion of that chapter of her career in August 2013, she began working as an intern with Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia. She interned until December of that year. During her time there, she assisted with both in-studio and field reporting duties. After that, Hatcher began working for CBS as a sports intern in January 2014 and remained in that role for six months. When it was time for her to move on from that internship, she began working for RVision as a sports announcer, sideline reporter, and producer in April and remained in those roles until January of 2015. During this portion of her career, Hatcher also began working for Big Ten Network as a sideline reporter in September 2014 and continued in that capacity until January of 2015. After that, she started working for Hawaii News Today as a sports anchor and reporter, where she remained employed for more than three years, until July 2018. She then was employed by NBC Sports Philadelphia as a reporter and host for the Flyers in that same year. As of last year, she was replaced by Ashlyn Sullivan who works alongside Al Morganti and Scott Hartnell, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. She then began reporting from the Wells Fargo Center during certain Sixers games. She currently is the host of “Birds Huddle” for the Eagles. Many fans of Hatcher, myself included, don’t think she will stay in Philly for more than a few more seasons. Her impressive resume and warm personality will allow her to move around to wherever she chooses, and she will likely go someplace that will add to her career portfolio. While a major move hasn’t happened yet, it’s only a matter of time. NBC Sports Philly should be prepared to come up with one heck of a salary in order to keep Taryn working for their network.
Hatcher’s Top 5 Looks–In My Opinion
1. This outfit screams Christmas, but make it classy. The wrap in the front paired with the low-cut neckline compliment Hatcher’s figure, and the green coloring of the dress works so well with her skin tone. While wearing green on tv is often considered “taboo”, Hatcher pulled this look off flawlessly.
2. I love the simplicity of this look. The pairing of the classic blazer with the leather shorts is a very unique and bold choice, but Hatcher pulled it off flawlessly. I also love how all the colors are basic and there are no loud patterns or designs. Definitely a classy look that is the epitome of business casual.
Courtesy of metrobiography.com
3. For this look, Taryn paired a turtle-neck sweater dress with a black belt and stockings. Another simple look, but she added little accessories that really pulled it together. From the dark lip to the necklace and chunky belt, there really are so many impressive minor details in this outfit that make it cute yet versatile.
Courtesy of popularmetworth.com
4. I feel like there is an unspoken amount of pressure that women in sports face when it comes to putting together an outfit. Especially for the women who are on-air. If your outfit is too much, it's a failure. If it's not doing enough, it's a failure. It is almost like you have to find that perfect balance of simple and chic to not be chastised by the media. Hatcher does a flawless job at this time and time again. In my opinion, this look is the perfect example of that. By pairing simple jewelry with a stunning form-fitting black midi dress and nude heels, Taryn is proving that you don’t have to put too much effort into your look for it to be stunning.
5. Hatcher is almost always wearing a skirt when she’s on-air. For this look, she pairs a maroon bodysuit with a beige skirt. Accessorized with minimal jewelry and natural-looking makeup, this look is yet another example of the beauty in simplicity.
All in All
Taryn Hatcher has inspired me since I was young, and she is a big part of the reason why I wanted to become a woman in sports. I have always idolized her ability to do her job so well, but I now also appreciate her taste in fashion since I have gotten older. As someone who overthinks, I find myself frequently stressing myself out about every aspect of my life. This does not exclude my wardrobe. Seeing Hatcher put together such simple yet stunning outfits always reminds me that I don’t need to overthink my professional attire. I have always followed Hatcher wherever she has gone with her career in Philly, and I look forward to continuing to do that as she expands her career in other directions. I think she’s a perfect role model for young women trying to find their way in the sports industry, and proof that a woman can succeed just as much as a man can in this field.