top of page

Frozen Four Recap

This year the Frozen Four was held at Amalie Arena in Tampa, FL from April 6-8 and it had quite a thrilling ending. The teams involved in the games were Boston University, University of Minnesota, University of Michigan, and Quinnipiac University.

The first game that took place was on April 6 at 5 p.m. with Boston University taking on the number one team, University of Minnesota.

The first goal scored was by Boston’s Sam Stevens in the first period. Gophers, Mike Koster, tied up the game and 50 seconds later, the Gophers took the lead with a goal by Rhett Pitlick to end the first period.

The second period was very close with chances by both teams. The only goal scored was by the Terriers, Jay O’Brien to tie up the game, 2-2.

Minnesota showed what they were made of in the third period with Luke Mittelstadt and Logan Cooley both scoring two goals to send the Gophers to the finals with a score of 6-2.

The second game that took place on April 6 was at 8:30 p.m. where number two Quinnipiac University took on the number three Michigan Wolverines.

The Bobcats scored first with a goal by Jacob Quillan. About one minute later, Seamus Casey from the Wolverines answered back with a goal to tie up the game. The first period would end with Quillian getting his second goal of the game and giving the Bobcats the lead.

The second period of this game was just as close as the last game with the only goal scored. Adam Fantilli got the goal for the Wolverines to tie up the game at two. Fantilli also won the Hobey Baker Award this year for his incredible season at Michigan.

Quinnipiac took off in the third period with three goals. The goal scorers were Sam Lipkin, Zach Metsa, and Ethan de Jong. With a final score of 5-2, Quinnipiac moved on to the finals.

The finals took place on April 8 at 8 p.m. and this was quite the game.

John Mittlestadt scored first to put the Gophers ahead. There was no other scoring in the first period, but there were plenty of shots made by both teams.

In the second period, the Gophers extended their lead with a goal scored by Jaxon Nelson. The Bobcats were quick to cut the lead in half when Cristophe Tellier scored.

The third period was extremely close with the Gophers trying to keep their 2-1 lead. With two minutes and 47 seconds left in the game, Collin Graf from Quinnipiac tied the game and sent it into overtime.

10 seconds into overtime, Quinnipiac scored and won its first title in school history. It was Jacob Quillan who put the puck in the back of the net for the Bobcats.

Quillan told reporters that this moment was unreal and he shared what the team has gone through to get to this moment and how excited they were to celebrate.

15 views0 comments


bottom of page